Today I’d like to talk to you about the benefits of journaling with Negative Emotions. Quite often we see posts about the positivity of journaling. Mostly memory journals, project life and posts that always end in some sort of positive outcome.
However, if you are like me sometimes life just feels really unfair, overwhelming or damn right shit.
I have a little journal which I call my Little Book of Dread. I keep it separately from everything else and don’t write in it daily. When I do write in it though I unleash all my anger, sadness and hate for whatever it is at the time. I scream at the page with my frustrations. Scribble, swear and have tear drops all over. I don’t care. This journal is never going to be seen by anyone else. This is my journal of true and honest feeling.
I am only human and yes I know it’s great to try and look at every silver lining etc but sometimes I don’t want too. Sometimes I feel like enough is enough and why me?
Everyone feels like that but not many will admit it because we think it makes us selfish, it makes people pity us. It makes us feel weak. At least that’s how I often feel. I’m a pretty strong outgoing person but I can only tolerate so much.
There are benefits to this sort of journaling.
1) A problem shared is a problem halved. This way it’s shared judgement free.
2) You can be brutal and honest with yourself and about others.
3) It helps you to de-stress and feel less overwhelmed.
4) You can tell it your deepest darkest secret and learn a lot about yourself in the process.
5) It can leave you exhausted but in the best way.
6) It leaves you feeling much lighter, like you don’t have to carry that burden around with you.
7) You can unleash your inner crazy voice, this is great since as it’s generally not appropriate to do that in public.
If you haven’t tried this yourself I would highly recommend it. The process is very cathartic. I’ve even gone so far as to burn the book when it’s full, and it really does feel good. Like letting good of everything that’s tried to break you.
Give it a go you won’t regret it. Thanks for reading.
The Stationery Geekette x